So my blog has been dormant for some time, and in that time I’ve had a variety of hardware failures etc. As such my previous nanoc based site was lost. Thankfully all the content was stored in git so was easy to recover. I thought if I’m going to restart blogging I might as well look at a different platform, and it looks like all the cool kids are using Hugo so here we are.
I was fortunate enough to get a present for surviving another year of life, a shiny new AR.Drone2.0. This was something that I had desired sometime ago but then dismissed as an expensive toy with little expansion. That desire returned recently after being enlightened to the hacking opportunities, not just hacking the device directly but more around the hacking of applications to use with it. Yet again it was Laurent Eschenauer to blame with his excellent ardrone-webflight.
It’s been almost 18 months since I last made any change to this site, and I’ve been meaning to do it for a while. In all honesty, it’s been a while since I last blogged so I thought it was as good a time as any. Thanks to the likes of Twitter and Google+, and my corporate blog I’m finding myself blogging less an less. As my blog is getting less content, is it really worth running an sql server etc?
Just on the off chance that anyone has tried to browse to my blog or any other part of my web presence on the wafaa.eu domain, you may have noticed that it was returning either with no content or pile of garbled mess. Well the reason is I decided to do a bit of a tidy up. I’ve finally migrated completely to my Microserver, and have retired my old but trusty Compaq Evo.
Suffice it to say, I’m actually enjoying my Storytlr install – maybe enjoy isn’t the right word but you get my drift, don’t you? Well I was determined to loose my coding virginity, and Storytlr’s plugin system seemed to be the safest way to do so. I chose to base my plugin on an existing plugin, and my two options were creating a Blip.tv plugin (based on the Vimeo plugin) or a Gitorious plugin based on the Github plugin).
I thought it would be wise to document how I installed Storytlr as I feel the official documentation doesn’t list everything. The basic requirements to get storytlr working are – Apache, MySQL, PHP5 (with php5-tidy, and php5-mcrypt). So once you have the basic system requirements met, the next step is to download the latest stable release from here and extract the tarball in your target directory. So in your virtual host file make sure you have enabled AllowOverride
OK so I’ve finally got round to getting this domain back up after nuking the server, problem is it isn’t back on the server but on my secondary and much less bandwidth friendly machine. So if you want to download anything please be aware it will take much longer than it did in the past ;-) As you can see (if you visit directly rather than through an rss reader) I am now running Storytlr.